Thursday, February 11, 2010

Leer, Escribir, Repetir

If I take a moment to think about it, the amount of time that I’ve spent writing in just the last week is more than I have in most months in the states. Ironically, I also feel as if I’m writing poorly because my mind keeps switching between Spanish and English. Regardless, it’s nice to be in a place where there’s actually time to sit back and reflect on what’s happening for a change, instead of rushing from one obligation or privilege to the next.

That being said, this first week of classes has been quite labor intensive. Starting with class at 8:30, until about 4:00 the last two days I have either been in class or doing homework for my classes, not to mention doing homework at night as well. Thankfully, I sent off the first draft of my internship paper, so I have one thing off of my checklist for a while. I guess that will give me time to worry about the 10 page paper I have to write for my historia de centroamérica class. Never have I felt such empathy for foreign exchange students as I do right now.

Besides working, I have been learning, and classes have been interesting. I won’t regurgitate my last 5 hours of lecture, but the content has been both good and challenging to hear. I’m kinda waiting for a fuller picture before I write on that though.

We went to Nueva Suyapa, to Kurt and Joanne’s house for book study and dinner tonight. I loved how comforting it felt to go there. It was an interesting feeling, because really I’ve only spent a week or two living there in my whole life. There’s just something about their house, about the way they’re choosing to live that resonates with me and makes me feel at ease, at home. The cooking definitely helped with this as well, African ground nut stew isn’t typical dining when traveling.

I was talking with another Calvin student about how we’re looking forward to this weekend because it will give us a chance to take a breath again and stop traveling for a change. I’m also exited to go to church with my familia, hopefully it doesn’t last 4 hours like the last Honduran church service I went to.

Hope all is well for you as well (and you best let me know if not). Actually, you can let me know if it’s going well too, I’m always up for hearing about life.

Que Dios le guarda.

1 comment:

  1. Way to get that first draft finished! Nice work. Take care.

    ReplyDelete